Monday, June 26, 2017

BE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS...SERIOUSLY SERIOUS!

Too, too many times I have been approached on the web by local Indie filmmakers via email concerning my  "failure" to add my films on IMDB for IMDB credit. I've been told that if my films are not on IMDB, then it never happened. I've also been told that not having a page on IMDB will not get me noticed in the "real film world" and that all of my actors work will never be identified or taken seriously. I've always and often chuckled at those remarks made to me by "keyboard commandos" [thanks, Bobby] and I always retort to those people, "You do things your way and I'll do things my own way." Then I leave it to time to handle; why? because short films have a way of disappearing really fast and never being seen by the clique groups who created them.

Sure, I've filmed a little over 120 short films for web series and some film shorts, shot at at least seven feature films and have worked on some network shows as a Directors Assistant or "DA" if you need to hear the movie term. But knowing all of the movie terms in the world is NOT going to make you a legitimate filmmaker....getting the job done, is! And I'm proud to say that all of my work is uploaded somewhere on the Internet where anyone can search my name, the titles of my work, and actually see EVERY film I've ever directed and produced.
The smell of success isn't easy to emulate, but there is some self-satisfaction to your film career when you prove to be somewhere to work on a film, where no other people in your film scene have ever been to or could dream of going to when working on a real project or two. This is the way I see it, "There are people who wish they could be in the dream, making real movies and working hard to get to it through short 'local' indie films"....or, "There's the sort who have truly worked hard to get to the BIG GAME, worked in REAL feature films and network shows, know the ropes and the REAL contacts to get to it, but still have the mind to know that the ride is short and there's always another project to work on."

I know a lot of people who have worked hard on REAL Hollywood movies and won parts in REAL films and wound up on IMDB because the movie had a world wide release and those 'small town' actors had parts in them. Those people are proud of their work and their accomplishments, some work with me on my 'no budget' Indie films and we have fun putting it all together. Fun is what it's all about and I've never dabbled on the notion that 'this' project will land us a contract deal with a network or 'that' project has the right gusto to get us a full feature film deal with a studio out of Los Angeles [or LA].

Being real about the outcome of a short film...a nine to twelve minute gem...isn't anything to hold your breath about or claim that there's some BIG WIG in LA just waiting to see what your team is putting together for a pitch [or a 'trailer' as it's often wrongfully identified as] to present before a board of film studios just waiting for YOUR idea to come across their table. Quite honestly, I can't name a nine to twelve minute short that has EVER won an Oscar, even with a big name heading the lineup of the film....can you?

I think it's best to leave IMDB to the professionals and let them have their glory. Just because you have a few films as a director in the arena of "extremely short films" doesn't mean that anyone has to bow to you; the same goes for local actors in the local Indie film scene arena. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if the film your in won a local Indie film award; like Worlds Fair, Horror World, or Houston's coveted Remi Award circuit...because in REAL Hollywood and in the real world of things, no one gives a fuck!

So, if you're preaching about having an IMDB credit for a film you presented to a small crowd at a pub, then you have a LOT of issues to deal with on your own. I am NOT the authority on films and I don't need to hear the grief of how your actors performances demand an IMDB credit if you're not willing to allow the open world to see your nine to twelve minute film. Put up or shut up and go away, that's my saying.

Ride Easy, My Friends!

D. R. Quintana
QSE Editor in Chief
 

5 comments:

  1. POW! PIP! BAMB! These are some amazing punches going out at the Indie film circuits nationwide and you're completely 100% right on about everything mentioned!

    There are some stellar actors that have put a lot of time and money perfecting their talents and becoming part of a tradition of marking milestones on IMDB. Then some Indie film nerds find a gray area and now the entire site is a glut of no-talent ass clowns who think they deserve the same attention for being in a crummy 9 minute film.

    I'm glad that someone sees the issue and is not afraid to share their opinion openly.

    Daniel B.
    Austin, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about hitting the nail on the head, I was just talking to a fellow actor about this on set the other day. We showed up to a casting call for extras and out of a large number of people who showed up for three parts, she and I walked away with the roles because we had true experience on our resumes and not small parts in local short films. We also had our acting talents tested by the casting manager on set. I am impressed by the amount of people that want to act in real films but there are so many real SAG/AFTRA actors that have trained in real acting schools and have partaken on real film sets that have priority. I mean, I've been doing work on films for over 15 years and have only landed one real part in a network series to brag about. Most of the time it's being that of a professional extra with lines. I hope to get a break one day like anyone else, but I'm not going to put down stuff I did in a local film scene to embellish my talents!

    Emily K. K.
    SAG Actress
    Provo, UT

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess the logic is, "never judge an actor by his IMDB page?"

    Ronda M.
    Roswell, NM
    via iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually support your ramblings on your blog but I truly enjoyed reading this one. The independent film scene has gotten out of hand and everyone's trying to fit in because someone bought a camera and some first hand guy behind it called himself a director. Go to a larger venue with a little more cash and it's "look, he rented a camera, so he has to be a real director!" After a while, it enters a stage of complete idiocy and everyone wants to be on IMDB because it will make their work a "legitimate production."

    Complete dumbasses!

    P. Morgan Jr.
    Austin, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Houston, oh-Houston! You're so right about the IMDB movie problem that is a growing issue. How is it that short films even qualify when the people 'supposedly directing' them aren't even educated at the proper level? Here's a prime example of Houston crap posting on IMDB and on Facebook.

    Look up Taco-Hell-1351465054972870 on FB.

    Paul B.
    Houston, Texas

    ReplyDelete

All comments are previewed before releasing on the blog. Please provide your name [i.e. Mark F.] and your location [Cranston, CT] or your comment will not be approved during screening.